If you were ordered to pay child support at the time of your divorce or the mother of your child petitioned for child support after establishing paternity, you may be wondering whether or not this financial obligation is set in stone. While it is important to understand that you would typically be required to wait at least three years from the time that the original order was established, you do have the option to petition for a modification if you can show that there has been a significant change in circumstances. One of the most common situations that gives rise for a modification is a recent job loss, as one may be unable to meet their child support obligations if they are unemployed or in between jobs.

Another reason why you may be interested in seeking a modification is because the state child support guidelines have shifted, making the new amount less than what you are currently paying. In order to petition for a modification on these grounds, however, you would need to show that the new amount is either 10% greater or less than the amount that you were originally asked to pay. On the opposite side of the spectrum, it is important to understand that the other parent also has the right to request a modification if they believe that they are entitled to a more substantial allotment of child support. For example, the following circumstances may give them a reason to request more money:

  • You recently received a large inheritance
  • The child’s medical expenses have increased
  • Your ex-spouse’s cost of living increases
  • Your ex-spouse has become disabled

While there are numerous different circumstances that may facilitate the need for a child support modification, it is important that you enter into this process under the qualified guidance of a Salt Lake City divorce lawyer from the Law Office of David Pedrazas, PLLC. Modifying an existing order can be tricky, so it is highly recommended that you fully understand the steps involved. When you trust in the legal team at our firm to manage your case, you can rest easier knowing that we will be working diligently to secure the favorable outcome that you are hoping for. Not only can we contribute more than 20 years of experience to your case, but we are truly committed to the well-being of our clients.

For this reason, we ask you to take the first step today by contacting our firm for a Legal Case Review. All you have to do is call our office at 801-263-7078 or submit a complimentary case evaluation form online. From there, we will be able to handle the rest.